Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Grandma to the Rescue!



In early March, there was a couple of days where all of us were sick. The kids picked up some bug and spread it to each other and to Cecil and me. When it got really bad, I took all the kids to the doctor and found out they all had some bad gunk. They all got put on antibiotics and two had to have breathing treatments for their coughing. Earlier that day, I had gone to the doctor and been put on antibiotics and ordered "to rest and stay in bed for a few days." Apparently she did not see the part in my chart where it said I had 2 year old triplets. I felt awful. It was the kind of crawl under your bed and not move for several days awful. But I could not ignore my three sick kids. And did I mention that Cecil was out of town for several days?? At this point, I have no voice left and I cannot stop coughing. My breaking point was when I was heading home from the pediatrician and I stopped at the pharmacy to pick up our 5 new prescriptions. They said the prescriptions were not ready yet and to come back in an hour. Well, it was already 5:30 and in an hour, these kids were going to be in bed and I had no way of getting back there to pick up any prescriptions. So I did what anyone would do - I called my mommy as I was sobbing. I don't remember much of that conversation except that she said she was on her way. My mom flew down the next day and spent the week with us and nursed us all back to health. I don't know what I would have done without her. She managed to not get sick either! We were all so sick that I ended up pulling my rib muscles from coughing so hard and the kids all ended up with ear infections a few weeks later. That was another fun visit to the doctor - three double ear infections and two eye infections - but at least I was not sick too that time! Anyway, here is a picture of Grandma sitting with Helen while she gets her breathing treatment.

Cooking at the counter - licking the brownie bowl - the best part!

Chocolate face Helen

Alex loves the licking the bowl part

Ella likes hanging out and getting her turn at the bowl

Another adventure in March was the discovery that the kids could climb out of their cribs. After several nights of threats did not work and I would walk in on little ones running free in the morning, we decided it was inevitable that we would be dragged into the next phrase of toddlerhood. I wept for my dream of them being in their cribs until they were 10. So we decided to take the sides off of their cribs and see how that goes. Here's Ella supervising Daddy as he reconfigures the cribs.

Ella

Alex playing with his cars in the bonus room

Brushing the leaves off of the front porch

Helen

Ella

Ella is cooking in her kitchen

Alex being shy

The terrific three on the back porch

No comments: