Friday, July 25, 2008

Summer in Florida

We hit a major milestone this week. We moved from eating on the floor to eating in high chairs. I did not think they were ready for high chairs until I realized I was losing my mind trying to keep them from wiggling around on the floor while they ate. They were getting too big for the boppies and mealtime was becoming very stressful for me. So I decided that they were never going to say "Mom, we are ready to start holding our bottles and to eat in our high chairs." So one morning, I just put them all in there and gave them their bottles. I still have to prop the bottles with a blanket but at least they cannot wiggle around and they are one step closer to sitting in a chair and eating at the table. And I get to sit in the middle and eat myself or get something else done with my hands free! Here's a picture of our first day in our new chairs - Alex, Ella, and Helen.

I'm no child safety expert, but I'm pretty sure that when Alex can reach the animals on his mobile in the swing (and thinks that grabbing them is the whole reason he is in there and why they are moving around), he is too big for it.

"Oh Ella, what pretty hair. Can I play with it?" - Helen


"And your eyes! I think you should let me put some makeup on you...."

"Now, just come here. I promise it won't hurt!"

Wednesday I had the kids to myself all day so I took them to work with me for a little bit. So they missed their late afternoon nap. Our last bottle of the day, it was a struggle for Alex to stay awake.

Helen is fading too

Tired? Who's tired?


And, he's out.

Happy Helen

Alex is getting closer to crawling

Ella is very excited to be on our newly reupholstered couch! Not only did we get rid of the dated flower pattern, but we now have stain-proof, water-proof, puke-proof fabric that is supposed to be able to withstand triplets!

This week I took Alex to see another doctor about his head. This doctor thinks Alex has a very mild case of a flat head and does not think he needs a helmet. I agree and am more than happy to forgo the helmet (I'm sure Alex is too and has no idea of the bullet he just dodged!). What flatness he does have should round out as he grows. So he should be OK when he eventually ends up bald :)

I think we are pretty well settled in our routine now - at least until Cecil comes home. I've started going back to work and so far that is going fine. I get the babies ready in the morning and put them to bed at night. Our wonderful nanny Krista takes care of them during the day. Then I have them to myself on the weekends but people have been volunteering to come over to help for a few hours or the day. It is always nice to have an extra set of hands!

Today I went grocery shopping and I officially spent more on the babies' food than I did on food for myself. I think the check out people thought I was stocking up on baby food and diapers for a month. Little did they know it was only a week's worth.... I will be glad when we can switch to regular milk instead of formula. That will be a big money saver, except of course then they will be eating more real foods by then. Oh well, the fun never stops. Only 8 weeks or so until Cecil comes home!!

No comments: