Monday, July 7, 2008

Happy 4th of July / Ella eats!

In an attempt to get Ella used to tastes other than her bottle, we gave her a teething biscuit. While she looked at us like she suspected we were pulling one over on her, she still ate it -- and made a royal mess.

"Hi Mom, just checking to see if you are still there!" - Helen

"Ella! Did you see this big black chew toy??" -- Alex

Grandma manning a feeding

Grandma getting Ella to laugh

My Fourth of July babies - Ella and Helen

Mommy and Ella

Mommy and Helen

Mommy, Helen, and Ella

"Ow, I was just chewing on my hand and something bit me!" -- Alex discovering the ramifications of his new tooth

Mommy and Alex

Sue's Fourth of July cherry pie (yummy!)

"Hey Alex, do you wanna play? Huh? Do you? Do you?" -- Ella

It has been a big week for the Cauleys. We were busy planning, organizing and packing for our trip home. While we did not have big plans for the Fourth, we did have one exciting event. Ella decided to eat solids! For months I have been trying and for some reason, she decided the Fourth of July was a sufficiently momentous occassion to allow solid foods to enter her body. And she has continued to eat solids since then too. I would have gotten a picture of it but I did not want to stop feeding her for fear she would realize what she was doing. Surprisingly enough, she has eaten everything I've given to her. I guess she just was not ready - but she is now. It was funny to watch Alex's face as I fed her the first time. He started getting this panicky cry as if to say "Hey! That's mine! And she's eating it all!!" We had to open an extra container of food for that feeding just to calm Alex down.

Cecil is doing well. I was very relieved to hear from him on the Fourth. Major holidays make me nervous for fear that some fanatics think an American holiday is a great reason to launch an attack. He promised me that he did not see any fireworks - either planned or surprise - so I was happy. Less than three months until he is home.

We leave Ohio tomorrow. I have spent a crazy day packing and stuffing all of our stuff into my dad's pick up truck and my van. I was confident that everything would fit - until I started to put it in the truck. Then I realized that the truck in my mind was much bigger than the truck in reality. Everything fit except for one nonessential box so I'm happy. Now I just have to unpack it all when it gets there....

I think we are ready for our first plane trip. I have everything organized and three diaper bags full of everything they could possibly need - or at least everything I could think of that they would possibly need. I'm trying to figure out how to discreetly take a picture of the passengers' faces when they realize that they get three babies on their very small plane. Let's hope the kids are so stimulated from the airport and the plane that they sleep once they get in the air. Maybe I should run out and buy ear plugs for everyone just in case....

It is going to be a crazy week but I'll do my best to have updates on our trip as soon as I can. The fun never stops in triplet land!!!

No comments: