Friday, March 21, 2008

Visiting the Easter Bunny

On Monday, we loaded up the babies and went to see the Easter Bunny. They did really well! I think the Easter Bunny was a little overwhelmed though. No one smiled but no one cried either. From left to right is Ella, Alex, and Helen.



Alex is ready to the see the Easter Bunny with his own bunny hat on



Ella



Helen


The Easter Bunny helpers - Grandma and Nanny Kathy - with the babies


Nanny Kathy keeping watch over the babies at the mall. This was our first time using the triple stroller and it worked really well. There is definitely no such thing as a quick trip to the mall with a triple stroller though. We went to the mall right after it opened so there were not any crowds yet and we did not attract much attention. We did have several sales women follow us out of Macy's though to ask if these were triplets. Of course Grandma wasted no time in extolling the many virtues of her adorable grandchildren - from a distance though - she still won't let anyone touch them :)


From the top left - Helen, Alex, and Ella playing on the floor gym



Ella in her Winnie the Pooh pajamas


My cousin Jennifer feeding Helen. Jennifer came for the weekend to visit the babies - and let me get a night of sleep on a Saturday night. We love Jennifer!! She also gave Ella a new nickname. We've been calling her "peanut" because she is so small. But Jennifer christened her Honey Roasted Peanut because she is so sweet.


Aunt Cathy and Alex


Some observations on motherhood: I have noticed since becoming a mother that I am no longer Laura, or Laura Cauley, or Mrs. Cauley. I am "Mom." For example, when we go to the doctor, the nurses do not say, "So Laura, how are the babies doing?" Instead, they say "So Mom, how are the babies doing?" First, it is kind of weird having someone other than my kids address me as mom. Second, it is interesting that I am no longer my own person but that my identity now rests in who I am relative to my kids. I am the mom. I am very happy to be a mom and love the label, but to all the people who know me only through my kids, I am not an attorney or a wife or a triathlete - but mom.


My other observation is that I have become one of those people who dress her kids up in really cute nice clothes every day - but I'm lucky to get a shower every day much less wear anything other than the same pair of jeans and one of my husband's sweatshirts everyday. A note about the jeans though - I am happy to wear these every day because they are the only piece of prepregnancy clothing that I can fit back into so I do a little dance of joy every day when I can get these jeans back on. It is hard to get up the motivation to put on nice clothes and do my hair and makeup when I don't really leave the house (although let me assure you that a trip to Target definitely warrants putting on the make up). I'm trying to enjoy this relaxed state because I know the day is coming soon enough when I have to go back to work and I will be struggling to make it out of the house in my suit without baby food anywhere on me (or at least not in a conspicuous place - "Excuse me your honor while I wipe the baby food off of this brief before you read it.") For now, it is nice to not have to worry too much beyond who eats next and do we have enough diapers.

No comments: