With the weather warming up, we figured it was time to take everyone swimming - to the backyard that is where I set up a blow up pool from Target. Here are Alex and Ella taking their first dip. Mixed reviews so far - at least they did not cry. Helen got in and started to cry right away. New things have always been scary for her!
Alex is trying to stay upright but this wet stuff is really slippery! At least Ella is entertained...
Not to be deterred (I keep telling them that they will be begging me to take them swimming in a few years) we tried again a few days later - with me in the pool with them. The things a mother does.....
Here are Helen and Alex waiting their turn to get in.
Who knew that Bumbos also float and make nice chairs for the pool?
Helen is still reserving judgment but at least she did not cry this time
Back inside to play - Alex has discovered a new toy -- Helen's mouth!
Alex is hanging out with Grandma
"Hey, this is a pretty cushy pillow to lay on..." - Alex laying on Helen
This week I loaded up the babies and drove down to Columbus to visit my cousin Stephanie and her daughter Grace. We had a great time and I survived my first trip on my own with the babies. Here are Grace and the babies playing.
(Alex still needs to work on his guest etiquette - notice that he is spitting up)
Grace holding Ella and Helen next to her
This week we took Alex to Akron Children's Hospital to have a specialist look at his head. Over the past few months, he has developed quite the flat spot on the back of his head. OK, so it's not so much a flat spot as it is the whole back of his head is flat. He likes to sleep flat on his back and I think all those hours of laying in that position have flattened out his head as it has been growing. I do everything I can to keep him off his head while he is awake but it does not seem to be helping. And the treatment for this is to put him in this foam helmet that keeps the pressure off the back of his head so that as it continues to grow it will round out.
Sure enough, the doctor thought the flatness was bad enough that he should have "helmet therapy." Poor kid, he cannot catch a break. Turns out that babies with reflux, multiples, and premature babies are all at a higher risk for this so it is not terribly suprising that he has it. So now he'll have to wear a helmet - for 6 months! Since it takes about 4 weeks to make these helmets, we are going to have to wait until we get back to Florida to get his. We go home in 3 weeks! Pictures of the helmet will be forthcoming - I'm sure he is going to love these when he is older. But when he's 60 and has lost all his hair (it is a foregone conclusion that he will be bald given our family history) he will thank me for not letting him be bald AND have a flat head! (I hope....)




No comments:
Post a Comment